I have been contemplating of the ways I can improve myself that I came to realize the regrets and hurts I have within me. There are moments that I would feel so bitter about certain things or I would simply start to cry as if for no reason. There are days were I feel so low that I would try to blame it on others. There are times that I would simply show anger that I end up hurting those I love. With these realizations in mind, I have learned different ways to forgive myself in order to release any negative emotions bottled up inside me.
- Accepting the fact that I make mistakes. Learning to accept my flaws and knowing that despite my flaws, I am loved as I am. I realized that my flaws are what makes me who I am and it should not make me less of a person. Accepting my mistakes and failures leads to self-improvement.
- Having someone I can talk to.Talking to someone definitely helps me feel better. I feel that do not need assurance from others that I am okay. However, it feels good to have someone who sacrifices their time to comfort you; someone who willingly lends an ear; and someone who is there for you no matter what.
- Knowing what needs to be change about myself. I realized that doing daily reflections at the end of the day helps me see the things that I could have done better and things that I should do to better myself. Being a business student, I learned about the SWOT analysis that I try to apply it in my life. Since I know my strengths, I use them to strengthen my weaknesses and develop them into strengths. I check for opportunities to help better myself and I look out for the threats (e.g. negative thoughts/overthinking) that may hinder my opportunity to help myself to become a better person.
- Trying to make my mistakes right.Finding ways to make my mistakes right is another way to forgive myself. If I hurt someone, I try to reach out to that person and I apologize. If I am unable to reach a person, showing kindness to someone else definitely makes me feel better. Doing good to others rather than feeling bad is a great way to forgive yourself.
- Giving myself a break.Giving my mind and my body a break from all the guilt or regret by finding happiness in other things is a helpful process of forgiving myself. Reading a book, writing, walking in the park, praying, or listening to music are some of the things I do when giving myself a break. At times, I would simply stop and think of how grateful I am to be alive and knowing that there are people who loves me and cares for me.
No one is perfect – yes. I make mistakes like anyone else in this world. Forgiving yourself is a learning process. Truly, there are other ways for me to learn how to forgive myself.
I have learned that sometimes “sorry” is not enough. Sometimes you actually have to change.- Claire London
Do you have ways or processes of forgiving yourself? Feel free to share them with me!